Sunday, June 5, 2011

memory loss

by choice.  perhaps?  study is inconclusive. 

Certain moments trigger my memory.  Random thoughts.  Obscure moments.  At one time I high-fived myself for having an amazing memory, and then I had children.  And have totally lost my mind, memory - short and long term, and the brain appears to be stuck in pause mode. 

The only person out there doing the "happy dance" is my husband.  Yup, that's right ... wife loses brain and husband is happy-dancin' around town.  And that is only because I now cannot dredge up some unfortunate past situation regarding his family.

You know the kind of family that finds itself into every conversation:

him:  "I really would appreciate it if you could help me with the pool."
me:  "Well, if your lazy ass sister hadn't visited ten years ago... then, maybe, ...."
him:  "What does SHE have to do with the pool?"
me:  "Well, if she didn't swim in it, then, maybe..."
him:  ????????
me:   "It's totally related!!!!"

Discussion is CLOSED.  I think I may have WON. 

But one night, I had a recollection.  In public.  In company that I don't know well.  And this company surely doesn't know me. 

The group began to tell stories.  Stories that I listened to... as any wallflower would do.  I like to listen.  Participating is something I do not do well.  But the conversation turned to DWIs and Police Encounters.  Why? 
I do not know.
And for some unknown reason, I felt the need to chime in with my "secret".

"What I do when confronted by an officer while speeding:
Why, I talk DEAF, of course. 
Doesn't everybody?"

And so, in a group of about 20 people, I spoke in my DEAF voice.

And the entire room of 431 people fell silent.  Dead silent.  And as 862 eyes rolled in my direction... considering that everyone has both eyes... I laughed.  Nervously.  And then, I ran.  Out the door.  And to my home. 

Upon arriving at home, a friend (among the small group of 20) called to say, "You're Good.  Were you ever deaf before?" 

"Thorry...ong number.  CLICK".

No comments:

Post a Comment