Friday, October 28, 2011

fifteen.years.it.has.been. -- recap

REPEAT POST.

2011 is my fifteen year hand anniversary and I am on a personal-day-holiday.

The best part about my fifteen year anniversary -- is that for the first time in fifteen years -- I can "just breathe".  Inhale.  Exhale.  I am okay.  The pain is dissipating.  And I am thankful!

i.lost.ONE.finger.or.TWO
definitely ONE. definitely the use of TWO.

it was not the best day of my life.

october.3.1996
i had a cut that resembled a papercut. not open. not deep. not threatening. until I came in contact with a person with strep throat. the strep infection invaded my cut via coughing or sneezing. it became staph infection. THE FLESH-EATING BACTERIA. GANGRENE.

for those of you who know: you can skip this post.

for those of you who don't know, here are some "clean" tips:

1. WASH YOUR HANDS

2. NEVER KISS A "BOO-BOO", EVER! (KISS NEXT TO IT, AROUND IT, ABOVE IT, BELOW IT... NEVER, EVER ON IT!)

3. NEVER PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR MOUTH AFTER A PAPERCUT OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF CUT!

4. PUT ON A BAND-AID. Or Plaster.  YES, EVEN ON A PAPERCUT!

6 months in and out of the hospital.

365 daily visits to a hand surgeon.

10 hand surgeries.

4 long years of constant doctor monitoring.

40 prescriptions for pain pills.

1200 codeine tablets. (not for sale)

1 prosthetic.

4 doctors.

1 special doctor who saved my life and my hand.

$1,000,000 dollars, at least.

1 conclusion: disability.

1 future possibility: more amputation.

THANK YOU, DR. BOB! AND 'NURSES' CARLA AND DEBBIE! You're my heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment