Monday, July 13, 2009

the definition of Choice


1. The act of choosing; selection.
2. The power, right, or liberty to choose; option.
3. A number or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of styles and colors.
4. The best or most preferable part.
5. An alternative

"I'm hungry!" echoes through the house on a consistent basis, like every twelve minutes.

"OK, we'll have lunch early," I give in. Who cares if it is only 10:17 am?

"What do you want?" I ask.

"I dunno," responds Child A. "What can I have?"

A lot of things come to mind... 'Cheerios', 'Popcorn', 'Snacksize Bag of Lays', 'Fruit Rollup'... but I have to consider nutritional value and the fact those items do not reside in my cabinet (really). Child A did not know what "junk food" was til I shipped her off to school. She came home inquiring about 'Pop-Tarts', 'Lunchables', 'Rice Krispy Treats', 'Chicken Nuggets', etc. And I properly reminded her that those snacks ONLY exist at school. Just like "CHUCK E. CHEESE" and "McDONALDS" -- they are ONLY a place to have a BIRTHDAY PARTY. It does NOT exist unless you attend or host a birthday party. HOW CLEVER! (I thought of that one all on my own!)

"Salmon or Taco-bake?" I offer as two choices.

"Well, yeah, BUT I don't think I really like any of those choices today!" Child A debates. "How about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

Now that I can do... "Good Choice!" I congratulate Child A.

No comments:

Post a Comment