Monday, August 8, 2011

joplin

I have been wanting to post about Joplin since May 27, to be exact... but words nor photos can really describe the city.  And I have been wanting to write the right words.

Ironically, I was in Joplin exactly five days post-tornado disaster.  And all I have to say is "unbelievable".  Obviously, according to the 24 hour news coverage, you know it is bad.  But it is really horrific.  And terrifying to see the damage caused by mother nature.

The entire city was smoking. 

The highway signs were twisted and bent in half.

There was twisted metal wrapped in trees.

Missing rooftops.

Trees with only their remaining trunks.

And then, not so ironically -- because now I knew my return route -- I was in Joplin again, one month after the tornado devastation.

And other than the new highway signs being replaced, not much had changed.  The skies were brighter.  The air was heavier with summer temperatures.  But the city of Joplin still devastated. 


The city is so much worse than what I have captured on film.
My prayers continue to go out to the city of Joplin.











Please note the next photo:  Burger King.  I believe it has been proven that the safest place within Burger King ... is the play area.  Notice the untouched play structure.  Unbelievable.











No comments:

Post a Comment