Monday, October 4, 2010

recaps of the last six weeks






My mother with the three girls at the Drive-In

6.  I.Love.This.Place

It is For Sale.  Somebody please buy it and keep it open.  Besides, who EVER gets an opportunity to buy a Drive-In?  Please, don't turn it into yet another vacant strip mall!!

Recently, we took the girls to the Drive-In.  A real Drive-In.  We were an obvious group of drive-in newbies. 

Or would it be:  Drive-in virgins? 

Yes, virgins, because our backseat was being used to hold carseats, coolers, outdoor chairs, and blankets.  Joking aside, we were definitely the ONLY other vehicle that had never been to the drive-in before.  All the other vehicles (except that other one) parked backwards.  And most vehicles were PICK-UPS.  We are definitely in TEXAS. 

Now Showing:
Toy Story 3 and Shrek Forever After

We parked near the concession stand and restrooms... because with little kids... that is where we needed to be.  Plus the concession stand had speakers (and FOOD).  I wanted to listen to the movie without turning on the car because with my luck, the car battery would die.  Unfortunately, the original drive-in speakers at each car park were long gone - just don't "hit" the posts that still exist. 

Although we came prepared with snacks, popcorn and bubbles at the drive-in was necessary!

Luckily, we weren't in the vehicle that had to be jumped - only one car battery died that evening. 

While the children watched the movie, ran around outside, and climbed from backseat to middleseat to front seat, I proposed buying a Pick-Up to my husband.  A Pick-Up for all our future Drive-In evenings.  He rolled his eyes while I dreamily crooned, "a pick-up for the drive-in; a pick-up for a haulin'; a pick-up for drivin' (get it?); a pick-up for..." and he didn't let me finish!

Since that didn't fly...

I proposed buying a "weekend home" so that we could frequent the Drive-In and the quaint town on weekends.  And you know what he said... "NO"!  Actually it was shouted.  And I quote verbatim, "YOU WANT TO PURCHASE A WEEKEND HOME THAT IS 25 MINUTES FROM OUR CURRENT HOME?"

"Why Not?" I ask.

"BECAUSE WE ARE ONLY 25 MINUTES FROM OUR FRONT DOOR... IT TAKES LONGER TO GET TO DALLAS... AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO DRIVE 25 MINUTES TO SPEND THE WEEKEND AWAY FROM HOME.  GO SPEND THE WEEKEND AT "L's" HOUSE.  THEY LIVE 20 MINUTES AWAY."

Since that didn't fly...

I offered a new suggestion, "Let's buy a weekend home in Dallas, then!"

PS  I think "he's" upset with me -- he has stopped talking -- and probably that includes listening!
PPS  I didn't even think about proposing to BUY the Drive-In... I think I'll do that tonight.  I'll let you know how that goes!  :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment