Friday, October 1, 2010

recaps of the last six weeks

5.  Freezing Roma Tomatoes

If you had told me ten years ago that I would be freezing vegetables from my garden, I would have given you my "you're crazy" speech.  Me, freezing vegetables.  That's up there with canning.  And jamming.  And the big hell, no.  For example, I just don't do domestic!  Well, then, I fell in love and I wanted to emulate Mrs. Cleaver.  Without the dress and the pleasantries. 

I actually made time to perform this domestic duty and I declare I do feel like June!  I have amazed myself.  I documented this event with photos because it just may never happen again.  It may be a "once in lifetime" occurrence but at least I have "proof". 

My best, most fruitful tomato plant grew under the apple tree.  And into the apple tree.  And up the apple tree.  And to the top of the apple tree, nine feet tall!  It was our 2010 tomato tree. 

daily pickings of Roma tomatoes
After boiling tomatoes for a couple of minutes, place them in a bowl of ice water.
Peel the tomatoes
 
Tomato peelings

Upon peeling the tomatoes, place them on a cookie sheet and set in the freezer.  After an hour or more, place the frozen tomatoes into freezer bags and freeze.  Use the tomatoes in soups, stews, sauces, chilis... YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment